Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Semi-Annual Verbal Altercation With Administration? CHECK!

WHEW.
Okay, so.
Today the acting 8th grade Asst. Principal decided that 5 of the eighth graders were acting so terrible that they were going to be put back into 7th grade. Go ahead and re-read that sentence so it's full meaning can take effect.

And can you believe I had the nerve to be upset about this? And not only did she decide this, she didn't even TELL us. This kid shows up in my room yelling something about how he "got a paper to be here, ya heard?" Um...what? He then says, "it don't matter cause I'm suspended anyways but when I get back I'm this class." And he left.
I step into the hallway as this Asst. Principal is walking by. "Ms. Belton, can I talk to you for just a second?"
"Yeah, sure."
"Are you seriously putting 8th graders back into 7th grade?"
"Yes we are."
"Ms. Belton. First off, it's March. And it's not fair to me or my students to h---"

(She holds her hand up to me and does the "shut your mouth" motion with it")"No. No. No. No. You don't know what unfair is!"

"You can't keep screwing these kids over like---"

"NO! If anybody gets screwed over in this building, it's ME and you don't know what you're talking about!"

"Ms. Belton? Can I spea---"

"No You CANNOT SPEAK. NO."

"Maybe we can have this conversation when you realize I'm an adult and not a child?"

At this point, another administrator came up and told me that she would take care of the situation and we can talk about it later. I thanked her for helping me out and understanding my point.

After school, the 8th grade team went to Principal and bitched and moaned because now they can't get rid of these kids. Principal was actually reasonable for once in her life and told them it was too late in the year for such a move. They left all huffy.

Ms. Belton was in the office. It was around 4pm, about 3 hours after our little altercation. I went to her and said,

"Ms. Belton, I know we disagree, but I don't want to have any ill feelings toward you and I want us to be okay. I'm sorry for what happened earlier and I hope we can talk about this without---"

She turns to me, looks me in the face and says, "The NEXT time I tell you to shut-up, you better SHUT. UP."

"You know what Ms. Belton? I'm going to give you some time. I'll come back to you tomorrow and see how you're doing."

No comments: