A couple of months ago, my best friend the 8th grade administrator decided there were going to be no end of the year activities for the 8th graders. People kindof nodded their heads and went on their way. Well, it's the middle of March now and it's looking like there's REALLY not going to be any end of the year activities for the 8th graders. So we've all heard that they have decided to tear apart the school after the standardized testing is over (next Tuesday.)
We (the 7th grade teachers) want to make sure our babies don't get involved with that craziness, so we had a meeting with them yesterday. We told them that we have a trip to Six Flags planned, a skating trip and a picnic. We also threw in a movie day and game day during April. We talked to them about appropriate behaviors and showed them the behavior checklist that all teachers will be keeping. We explained that we are specifically targeting those who: use profanity, bring cell phones or other electronic devices, bully or tease, come to school out of uniform and skip class.
This one girl who thinks she 25 years old gets super offended and tells the principal that it's not fair for us to mark down every time they curse and use it against them to keep them out of a field trip.
So Principal says, "I'm not talking about if you curse at each other, or just in general. I don't care about that, some of you, it's just a part of your vocabulary. I'm talking about cursing OUT a teacher. Don't do that. That's what we're worried about."
UM, no sorry. I'm also worried about the cursing in general. Look, I curse. Sometimes my feelings cannot be properly expressed with a "darn it!" But I don't curse when I know I'm not supposed to, like in church, at my grandma's, at school, etc. I just don't understand the mentality that we know they don't have any self-control and that's okay. No. We're going to LEARN self-control. In my classroom, I tell them not to curse EVERY.TIME. they curse. I also tell them not to say "I swear to God." And, THEY DON'T. Every now and then, someone will curse and say, "Oh, I'm sorry Miss Vinson."
I mean, even if you are going to be lenient about it, don't come right out and SAY you are. DUHHHH.
Saturday, March 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment