Wednesday, October 7, 2009

It Was Probably By Mariah Carey

In part two of the series "______are Weird", we will be examining the role of parents; specifically, the actions of parents during a parent/teacher conference.

We have a kid, Darion. I feel as though I can say this from the safety of my secret blog--He's a psycho. Sometimes it's the little kid psycho, like he Michael Jackson moonwalks his way to the trash can or he sings stupid songs at inappropriate times (in the middle of a test, instead of doing work.) Other times he's a real big psycho--like talking about having sex with people's dead grandmothers. (Yeah...)

So we call his father up for a parent/teacher conference. Everybody has their say. One of the other teachers, she brings up the fact that she sees Darion's mother dropping him off every day, with her music playing. She kisses him goodbye. But when he gets away from the car, he says something to the effect of, "I hate that song, anyway." (Okay, I'm pretty sure this is just because it's his mother and he's 12 and trying to impress his friends by being "too cool" for all that...but what do I know.)

So the other teacher goes on with her story, continuing to elaborate on how his bad attitude escalates from there, blah blah blah. I'm not even sure why she brought the song thing up, except to just maybe prove that she pays attention to Darion, or that he puts on a show for his mother and mumbles stuff after she leaves.

But anyway, so after the other teacher finishes her little rant on Darion, the father turns around and says, "What song was it?" Everyone is looking at each other like, What the hell? Who cares? Then he gets louder, "WHAT song WAS it?" Darion says he doesn't know the name of it.

Another teacher pipes up, "Darion is acting up, he's not doing any work."
The father interrupts, "I'm sorry to cut you off, but I'm still trying to figure out what song it is."

Even after the whole "Darion talks about having sex with dead grandmothers" revelation, the father still wouldn't let it go. Really, sir? REALLY? Now I'm significantly less confused as to why he's such a psycho. Thanks Dad.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I found it a few months ago but lately it has been highly therapeutic since I am going through my own extremely stressful (and ridiculous) daily crises with a crazy supervisor who works as a therapist and does not like her clients or me. You'd think having some degree of care for people might be the basis for that profession but apparently it is entirely unnecessary. Your stories help me see the humor in my situation as well.

Miss V said...

Wow, thank you! I thought only Erin, Nia and Krystal were reading this. :)

Lauren said...

and Lauren! Lauren reads your blog too! :) can't wait to visit you!

the fam said...

Just so you know, I am reading your blog too. I am a friend of the Duffert family from Hudson, now living in the Cincinnati area. I discovered your blog through Erin's. I have often wanted to tell you how awed/inspired/incredulous I am at your experiences. Thanks for taking on a tough assignment with such humor, compassion and insight. The world needs more teachers like you. Hang in there and keep blogging!

erin said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
It probably WAS Mariah Carey.

Also, I know of at least 3 other people who read your blog religiously who were not listed here. They are depressed when you're gone over the summer.