I've always known that when I quit this job it would be because of some dumb-ass administrator or city-wide mandate that I totally disagree with. It might be both and it might be soon. Today I had a meeting with my IST and one of the asst. principals to discuss our inability to work together. Quotes from this gigantic waste of time:
"I know you're used to doing things your way. If you wanted to talk about Barack Obama and the election, then you could. But it's not that way anymore. You have to read out of the book and do only what says. You don't have any say in the matter."
"I don't understand why this is such a big deal. Not having to think about what you're teaching should make it easier for you. Why are you so resistant?"
"Having a trial with students as prosecutors and defense attorneys to teach the Salem Witch Trials does not address any skills. Why aren't you addressing skills?"
"You have to go exactly by the curriculum guide. If it says to spend two weeks on this subject, you have to spend two weeks on this subject. It does not matter that you won't get to more than half of the information. What matters is that you follow the rules."
"I know what you're trying to do. You are trying to be a damn good teacher. But that doesn't matter. What matters is that you do what you're told."
Obviously, they don't know me very well.
(More on this subject later.)
Friday, September 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
my head wants to explode on your behalf....
This makes me sad on multiple levels:
1) The educational system is so obviously desperately in need of an overhaul
2) Those who are the most "difficult" to teach are the ones who could benefit from said overhaul
3) People are so so so clueless
4) (most selfishly) If you quit I will no longer have these blogs or a connection to B'more that gives me vicarious street cred with my friends. I'm always like, "You like The Wire? My girl Heather LIVES The Wire."
Post a Comment