I'm the Team Leader for the 7th grade team. We have a 2nd year Language Arts teacher (Ms. K) who is a very nice person and a very hard worker. Sometimes in this school, niceness is seen as weakness by the children. So, coupled with her inexperience and being incredibly nice, sometimes the children give her problems.
We have a new guy at our school and his job title is Intervention Specialist. There was no interview process for this position because I would have applied. He is very condescending to Ms. K and does nothing to intervene when things are going wrong in her classroom. His job also appears to be walking around and telling everyone else what THEIR job is.
We have had 5 full days of school. After the 4th day, Mr. Specialist told Ms. K that "y'all won't be having any more problems out of Raquan. I've talked to him." Oh, thanks Mr. Specialist. I taught Raquan all of last year and have had hundreds of "talks" with him, but I'm glad you are here to save the day. (Unsurprisingly, Raquan was misbehaving less than an hour after Mr. Specialist's little talk.)
On Friday, Ms. K came into my room during lunch on the verge of tears. Her 2nd period had been very disruptive. At one point, two boys were chasing each other around the classroom and knocked over her entire bookshelf. RAQUAN was throwing pencils at her.
Mr. Specialist comes into my room as Ms. K is recounting the story for me. THIS GUY has the nerve to look at me and go, "Well, these kids don't give YOU any problems DO they, Miss Vinson?"
"Um, what does that have to do with anything?"
He realized I was a little hostile. So, he turns to Ms. K and asks her IF SHE HAS EVER CONSIDERED DETENTION.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME, GUY?! They pay you to come suggest to us that we should give detention?!
So, I pretty much let him have it. I wish I could have recorded it or something because it was brilliant. But the gist was something about how as a teacher, Ms. K shouldn't even have to be worried about the punishment for a child who is THROWING THINGS AT HER. In my opinion, that jumps right into the hands of the administration, or at the very least, THE INTERVENTION SPECIALIST. Am I wrong?
When they don't show up for detention (they never do), then what happens? Call the parent? What about when none of the phone numbers we have work? What then? And while we're going through all these steps, he's still THROWING THINGS AT HIS TEACHER. She shouldn't have to deal with that. At all.
He then proceeded to tell me that whatever happened was "up to the team." WHAT? The "team" is the 4 teachers that this student has. We are all teaching while this is going on. Should I stop teaching my class to walk down the hall and deal with this?
So, after this lunch fight, I was incredibly heated. Ms. K said she wondered what Mr. Specialist's background was in. I was curious so I looked him up on Facebook.
1. He has an Associate's Degree in Art from a community college.
2. His previous job was at a Wine Shop for about 7 years.
3. There are pictures of his baby daughter with our Turnaround Director.
4. He has the same last name as the girlfriend of our Turnaround Director.
Now, I'm no detective, but I'm calling BULLSHIT on this one. Tomorrow, I'm going to see if someone can sneak me this guy's salary information. If he is making any more than what a hall monitor is making, I'm going to start some serious shit.
Sunday, September 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
So?! What's his salary???
Post a Comment