Thursday, August 28, 2008

"It's Probably Because I Have Her First Period"

So, I don't really talk to teachers outside of inner-city middle school ones, so I don't know if this pertains only to middle schoolers, only to inner-city kids, or if it runs across the board. But I can't tell you how many times I've referred to a kid's behavior with the title statement. "Oh? She's bad for you? Huh. I think she's great, but It's Probably Because I Have Her First Period." I mean, they literally turn from sweet angels into foul-mouthed hellions over the course of 4 or so hours. Scientists should study this. It's insane. I've had a semi-hatred for every single last period class that I've ever had in my entire life, and I've always always loved my first period. I was so pissed when I saw the schedule and that I had my talkative 8th graders last. Damnit! I don't want to hate them...but I will. It's inevitable.

The cousin of that statement is the much hated, "Oh, wow, really? He's never been a problem for me." Oh, thanks. That's helpful.
I'm not absolving myself of this one. I have spent many a minute with a teacher having that conversation. Except my version is more like:
new teacher: "That Jimmy! He is crazy! I have NO IDEA what to do with him! He just cussed me out and said something about being in his face?" *frustrated sigh*
me: "Jimmy! I LOVE Jimmy! He is so funny! I wonder if he still has that pen of mine he borrowed? *wanders off to find Jimmy*
oh well. never said I was perfect.

But I really feel like some teachers get super defensive about the kids' attitudes. Look, nobody is going to think less of you if a 12 year old doesn't like you. They smell. Who cares what they think? Just because Jimmy or whoever likes me doesn't mean I'm a better person or even a better teacher because of it.
I can really relate to middle schoolers. It's a freakish gift. I can't sing or dance or anything so leave me alone!

No comments: