School is starting on Monday. These are things I'm thinking about.
1. I'm the IB social studies teacher. yay!
I have three preps. boo! 6th, 7th, and 8th grade have nothing in common, so I will be planning my butt off this semester. I also only have them for a semester, so I have to cram as much in as I can, meanwhile, having them do 20 jillion projects and hands-on activities so they can have somewhat of a portfolio when these IB Checkers come around to make sure we're following the rules.
2. I can't really get focused. Maybe it's because I spent all of last semester (and the summer) just hanging out, but I really can't get on board with this planning business. Not a good start. I know people usually get really excited about the beginning of school, and I'm usually one of them, but for some reason it's not happening yet. I am so super excited to see my kids again, though.
3. One of the reasons, I know, is this stuff with Gabriel. I think about it all the time. I was worried about him, I saw him and felt better. But this no visitors stuff, I just keep thinking, are my kids really doing this to each other? How can I possibly handle that?
I always said I had to get out before they started killing each other. It's hard to come to terms with the possibility of that actually happening.
4. We got our class lists on Friday. They basically changed nothing from last year. The 7th grade classes that ran the school last year are now the 8th grade classes that will run the school this year. awesome.
5. I know it seems like it, but I'm not really feeling negative about this year. We have a ton more teachers and several new hall monitors, so hopefully things will be calmer. I'm really excited about the 8th graders. We're trying to plan all kinds of things for them. They are the ones that I love the most, hands down. We've been through a lot together. I think my class will be fun, once I can wrap my brain around planning it, because it's going to be project based. Less teaching for me, score.
6. All those kids that I said left the school? They are still on our roll. We'll see if principal was lying.
7. We have metal detectors now. They seem like they're going to be a huge pain. I feel like it's just going to be a whole mess of cellphone confiscation. Oh, and the metal detectors aren't on the main entrance. So, if our little shooter comes to school after 8a.m., they don't have to pass through it. Genius.
But back to the cellphones. I understand it's district policy, blahblahblah, and NO they can't have them out in my class, but I don't really care about the kids having them. Honestly, if I had a 12 year old who had to take 3 buses to get to school, I would like to be able to get in touch with them. I realize many of those phones aren't used for that purpose, but a whole bunch are.
8. You know what gets on my nerves? I make a.whole.freaking.lot. of posters. People ask me to do posters for them. cool. However. If you have never, ever spoken to me, and the first and only time you choose to do so is to say,"Ooooh, make me a poster." We are not friends. In fact, I hate you. Markers, posterboard and free time don't just fall out of the sky.
9. Dear All Other Teachers At My School,
Just because there is a white male teacher in the building does not mean we are attracted to each other. Please stop asking me/wiggling your eyebrows and pointing every time he's around.
Sincerely,
Me
10. I don't think I really have a 10th thing, it just seemed suitable to end on 10. I guess I will again apologize for grammar mistakes. I do not associate myself with the philosophy of proofreading.
theend.
Friday, August 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment