Wednesday, November 14, 2007

This is one of the days when I'm not sure I can do this.

First, it was this:

http://wjz.com/local/antonio.brown.belinda.2.565934.html

This baby, little Tony, comes to visit me almost every single day. The 13 year old mentioned in the article is one of my students from last year. I would play with baby Tony every time his grandmother came up to the school. This year, she would always bring him by my room, even though I don't teach her son anymore. He always puts his head on my shoulder, pats my back and tells me everything will be okay. I have no idea what is going to happen to him.

Then, Joe was transferred out of our school. He's been acting weird for a few weeks but he wouldn't tell anybody what's going on. Well, the vice principal told me today that there was a "recurrence" of the molestation, and his mother took him out of our school. I didn't get to say goodbye. I have no idea what is going to happen to him.

I saw a kid on the street today, a student that I taught my first year. He dropped out of high school a few weeks ago. This is the school that he went to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Yx7HDXCxM

It breaks my heart, but I can't say that I blame him.

Tavon. I know that 3 years ago, his older brother was shot in the head and dumped in the chesapeake bay. His mother is a crack addict and his father just got out of jail (and is trying to get himself together.) I asked him today if anybody had ever told him that he's wonderful and he shrugged his shoulders and started to cry.

THEY DON'T DESERVE THIS LIFE.

No comments: