Monday, November 19, 2007

Anger (Mis)Management

Today during 2nd period, one of the vice principals stopped me in the hallway. We're having an assembly last period for the 7th graders about anger management. Take the girls to the 2nd floor and the boys to the 3rd. That's all he says.

Last period, I walk my girls to their place and walk the boys to theirs. I spend the next 30 minutes getting random boys out of the hallway and into the room they're supposed to be in. I finally get down to the girls session. The vice principal has handed out a "quiz" of 5 questions asking questions like, "what would you do if someone hit you?" The obvious response here is punch them in the mouth and insult their mother.

Oh, wait, no its not.

However, that is the obvious response of every single girl in the "assembly." Vice Principal tells them to complete the "quiz." About 10 minutes later (and three times of the principal standing at the doorway screaming, YOU ARE TOO LOUD! SHUT YOUR MOUTHS!") I look up to see the VP gone. We are left with these girls for about half an hour with no direction whatsoever.

I understand the purpose of these assemblies, but how about give me a few days notice? or how about have someone who ACTUALLY KNOWS WHAT THEY"RE TALKING ABOUT! or how about not expecting 100+ girls to sit in a room and have an intimate discussion on their feelings.

No comments: