Well, we went over our class lists today. The students are grouped homogenously by test scores, which is absolutely ridiculous. Now the quiet low performers aren't going to get any help at all because the loud ahole low performers are going to take over the class.
But I'm here to complain about a whole other issue. The retention policy in this city is a disgrace. Apparently, if a child has failed before, EVER, they can't be held back again. So if Deonte failed 1st grade, but does no work all of 6th grade, he still gets passed on. For example, I have a student that came sporadically during September and October, and then I never saw him again. Well, he had failed 4th grade, so he was promoted to 7th grade, despite missing more than 140 straight days of school.
We also have students that failed every single class, but were promoted by our principal. What does that do to the authority of the classroom teacher? makes it nonexistent.
On another note, we had our first new teacher quit. She got into an argument with our principal about being late, then later about something else random, then she stormed out and said she's not coming back. Its all very dramatic, but I don't have all the details. But this doesn't bode well for the year. 1 down, 23 to go.
Friday, August 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment