Thursday, August 23, 2007

Let's get this angry started.

Today I had to go to the hugest high school I have ever seen (and which I wandered around a good 30 minutes) to go to a professional development for the new 7th grade geography book. This seems reasonable, except I am being given no time to actually set up my room because I have to go to this training. During this training, two adults teach us lessons like we are 7th graders. They use the same "get your attention" strategies and cooperative grouping. This is more than mildly insulting. I am an adult with a masters degree, but instead of giving me the literature to read myself, they've decided I "learn by doing." Okay, that's all good and well, but I don't need to learn latitude and longitude, I need to teach it.. 16 hours of these lessons seems rather excessive.
My other favorite part was the general ridiculousness of the lessons. Yet another examples of how sad this city is. Our "instructors" were from a suburban school in Florida. We did an activity where you're supposed to put half the class in the hallway with instructions while the other half stays in the room to draw maps. YEAH RIGHT. There would be fights, fires, general mayhem with a group of students left unattended.
Oh, and when they kept talking about using our powerpoints, overhead projectors, laminating machines, and everything else I would never see in my classroom.
I don't understand how people pretending that my kids are just like everyone else. It gets us nowhere.

No comments: