What I've learned about myself is this: I am more than likely going to be one of those "YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!!" old people. I kindof rant for no apparent reason and I find joy in pointing out absurdities. I also haven't been in school since February 5th, and I've had a lot of time on my hands to think about things that get on my nerves (much like if I were a retired old person who spent my days thinking about how those damn kids were going to ruin my begonias).
This is something that gets on my nerves:
I do a lot of field trip planning at school. I like it. It's fun to go on trips, I enjoy organizing stuff like that. Nobody else wants to do it, and I like it so I do it.
I had originally planned to do the work for the 7th grade and 8th grade end of the year trips to Six Flags. If you get the ball rolling now, things are a lot less stressful April-ish.
I go to principal for her take on the trips (can we use school money for buses, what day is best to go, which Six Flags should we go to, etc.) She acts all hesitant and whatnot and says that the 8th graders don't "deserve" to go anywhere. They did this last year with the prom and the Lion King and Six Flags and every other trip I've ever planned. At the beginning they act like they are not going to let it happen and then by their good graces they bestow a gift upon these undeserving minions. So then we can all be grateful to Principal for how nice and wonderful and giving she is. Or whatever.
But the problem is, I NEED TO PLAN THE TRIP NOW. I don't have time for you to hem and haw and make sure it looks like the whole trip is your idea. I mean damn, I'll announce it to the kids and put it on the permission slip. THIS ONE WAS PRINCIPAL'S IDEA. SAY THANK YOU. if it means I can get the go-ahead today instead of next month. WHATEVER.
Secondly, not a single kid deserves to go? I find that hard to believe. Just because you don't discipline the 20 hanging out in the stairwell doesn't mean there aren't 100 in the classroom at least attempting to learn something.
Thirdly, what kind of punishment is it to take away something that never existed? That's like telling me I can't go on a cruise tomorrow. Well, duh. Of course I can't go on a cruise tomorrow. Now, if I had my suitcases packed and tickets in my hand and THEN you told me I couldn't go, that might mean something. Or if all my friends were going and I couldn't. THEN I might try to fix my behavior. But to just randomly tell me I can't do things I wasn't going to do anyway? What kind of sense does that make?
Monday, February 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
What did you do that you can't go on the cruise? You must have been naughty.
Well I've been told I'm rebellious, defiant, sneaky and underhanded by my principal...so it's probably one of those. :)
They never let me go on cruises!
Post a Comment