Friday, August 21, 2009

What I Don't Get About Teaching

My whole problem with the teaching profession is the fact that no one can decide if we are complete morons incapable of making the simplest of decisions or super geniuses who can change the world with a few well-placed motivational phrases and snazzy school supplies.
You have the You're An Idiot Side. To these guys, my 6 years of college and two degrees mean nothing to them. Someone else always knows better. Someone else needs to tell me which textbook to use, which topics to study and in what order to study them. Someone else knows what is best for my students, even though they may not actually know who they are. They have to tell me what needs to be hung up on my wall and how to group my students. These people reserve the right to change any and all of these instructions at any given time and not necessarily with an explanation. They want me to take all this in with no questions or concerns because I am, after all, an idiot.
Then there's the You're A Super Genius Side. They think the future is in my hands. I can take 200 students, in groups of 35-40, and in one hour a day for 3 months, make them move up 3 grade levels in reading comprehension. I can single-handedly erase years of emotional abuse and neglect, of inadequate nutrition and sub-par education all with a smile and a can-do attitude. I must be the most amazing person in the world.
The thing is, I can deal with either side. Fine, I'm a moron. Give me my stuff and leave me be. Fine, I'm a genius. Give me my stuff and leave me be. I can't deal with BOTH sides at the same time, all the time. It makes me feel mentally unstable.

1 comment:

erin said...

I think you're pretty awesome.