Monday, February 9, 2009

Sometimes the Nonsense Makes My Head Explode

My last period class comes to me from lunch. Let me be clear. They are my last period AND they are my after lunch class. So, for those of you who aren't teachers, let me lay it down for you. THAT SUCKS. The after lunch class is usually looney tunes, and so is the last period. And for me, they're both the same class. wonderful.
Also today, it was 50 degrees outside, and 90 degrees inside. Temperature control is not a feat we have mastered in the Baltimore City Public School System.
And another also, the lunches at my school are crap. I may have mentioned this before. I mean, they are terrible. They are microwave meals that are microwaved 30 minutes beforehand and then carted over from another building. yummy.
ALSO, the cafeteria is a stinky, hot, loud, dirty, gross, oppressive place to be. There aren't really cafeteria rules, but there's usually 3-4 adults in there yelling about who knows what. So, anyone who asks (and who I like) can eat lunch with me. I don't care. I know a few other teachers who do this. (We have to keep it on the low, this would make Principal veerrrrrryyyy angry.)
Anyway, I say all of that to say all of this. I usually go get my last period class from the cafeteria. Most of them come with me. I'm not a cattle herder. If I walk into a loud mess of a cafeteria, I'm not going to go up to each individual student in my class and attempt to bring them to my room. I come in cafeteria, my presence is announced, I leave with most of my class behind me. Okay.
Those that don't come right away, either they didn't hear/see me come in, or they spend their lunch period elsewhere. Whatever. They usually get to my room within 5 minutes, they come in without talking and get started on their work. I can deal with this. It's not perfect, but I see these kids cursing out everybody else, so I think I got it pretty good with the 5 minute leeway and the not cursing and the work doing.
I am wrong.
Today I bring my kids down. Five minutes later, principal is in my doorway with two boys. "MISS VINSON!!!!!!!!!WHY ARE THESE BOYS LATE COMING INTO YOUR ROOM?"

Well, I don't know. See, they're LATE.

MISS VINSON DO YOU PICK UP YOUR CLASS FROM THE CAFETERIA???

Yes.

WELL THEN WHY ARE THEY LATE?

*sigh* *eye roll* I don't know.

DO YOU PICK THEM UP?

yessss.

FINE.

She then proceeds to take them to the office and suspend them for two days. And yell at me to call their house and tell their parents about how terrribbblle they are.
But see, here's the thing. They aren't terrible. And also, I'm pretty sure being suspended is their punishment. And also, I'm pretty sure how I run my classroom is my business. AND ALSO, if they were on any other floor this wouldn't be a problem. It's total crap that kids coming to my room get treated differently than they do when they are upstairs.
And how stupid is it to SUSPEND somebody for not going to class? HELLO. That's what they were doing! Oh, you don't want to go to class? Well, now you CAN'T go to class! SO THERE!

No comments: