Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Theme of the Year is "Seriously??!!"

So, I forgot to tell you about the previously mentioned awesome budgeting lesson: it was my Formal Observation. (You know, twice a year they come in and make sure you don't suck...) Anyway, I was really happy because I got the one vice-principal who is not insane and/or worthless. Last year, my evaluation from her basically puked praise.
She walked around my room looking at things. She told me my room was "beautiful" and she laughed at what the kids were saying. She said, "oh, that's really cool" like 5 times. Things were on track for the same glowing recommendation.
I think we all know where this is going.
She pulled me aside the next day.
VP: Um, Ms. Vinson, you didn't teach them anything.
Me: Uh, what?
VP: You weren't teaching.
(Oh, sidenote, anytime faculty are assembled for any reason, principal screams at us about "letting the children teach each other" and "stop lecturing these students" and "hands on manipulatives" and all that. She's been known to drop in classrooms and scream "WHY ARE YOU STILL TALKING?!!" Also, I have many faults, but too much direct instruction is not one of them.)
Me: Well, you did come in late (15 minutes) so I had already explained the activi--
VP: Giving directions isn't teaching.
Me: Oooookay. Well, it was an introductory lesson on economics. They made a personal budget, and then, you were there, at the end of the class we talked about how countries also have to make decisions about how to spend money--
VP: Summarizing isn't teaching either. What I'm trying to tell you is, you have to have another Formal Observation...and you have to teach them something. I don't want you to get in trouble for not teaching, so I'm not going to tell anybody.
Me: Thanks so much.

2 comments:

Rachel and John said...

I love stalking your blog. I think I should apologize for finding your life so entertaining....

Miss V said...

ha, don't apologize. most of the time i feel like it's the truman show anyway. i'll be standing around with my "what the..." look on my face and i'm almost positive i can hear the viewers at home laughing at my predicament.