Friday, October 5, 2007

Speeding Tickets

The other day, I saw a police car pull over a speeding car in one of the worst neighborhoods in the city. Driving down that road, I've seen prostitutes, drug deals and other kinds of unsavory activity. Is it really the place for a speed trap?

That is the mentality of my principal at my school. Yesterday, I saw a student scream in a teacher's face. When I went to the office to write a referral (the teacher is new and was also having other problems) the principal said to me (about the teacher), "He has to learn what to do with them. I can't be everything to everyone."
Later on that same day, I was standing in the hallway and she screamed down the hallway at me, "Miss V, YOUR student is in trouble AGAIN." I had no idea what she was talking about, so I walked down to her and asked. Apparently, Joe had been walking down the hallway on the way to the bathroom and he had *gasp* looked in the window of another class! Well shit, where's a guillotine when you need one?

Today, after school, there was a huge fight outside the building. The police officer and all the male teachers were asked to go outside and monitor. Two students were brought back in the building in handcuffs and went to the police officer's office. Principal was nowhere to be found. About 10 minutes later, she comes outside to yell. She sees Imani, who is one of my best students. She is well-mannered, studious and all around wonderful. She was standing with her friend, who was using Imani's phone to call her mother. Principal came up to the girls and said, "Give me the phone, you are still on school property." When she gave it to her, Imani said, "But that's MY phone!" Principal then SCREAMED at her in front of about 60 other people and then sent her into the office. She then walked back in and screamed at her (at the top of her lungs...I could hear her down the hallway) for about 20 minutes. When I left about 20 minutes after that, she still hadn't even acknowledged the students who had been fighting earlier.

Speeding tickets in the midst of murders.

No comments: