Cell phones in school are a HUGE problem. It's actually against city policy for students to have them in school, but our principal just says the kids have to "keep them put away."
Well, they don't keep them put away. They have them out all the time. You tell them to put them away. They say no. What then? Teachers stopped fighting that battle because there's not anyone to back you up when a child refuses to hand it over or even just put it away.
Yesterday Principal made this announcement, "Students, I know teachers are LETTING you use your phones, but you need to keep them put away. " (Emphasis mine.)
OKAY. Right, we are letting them do it.
So today I decided to say something to a student and see what happened. Correy had his phone out 3 times. On the third time, after I had told him to put it away each time, I told him he had to turn it in to me to get back at the end of the day. He said no. I asked him 2 more times. He said no. The "Behavior Specialist" just happened to be walking by. I flagged him down and said that Correy needed to turn his phone in to me because he had it out in class multiple times.
Mr. Specialist asked for the phone. Correy said no. Other words were said between the two of them.
Correy got to keep his phone as long as he "promised" to keep it in is pocket and he got a pass to the counselor's office to calm down because I upset him too much.
Tuesday, February 7, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment