So the first day back from Christmas break was pretty much terrible. I can make excuses about how the kids haven’t had any structure for two weeks and blah blah blah, but none of that really matters when I’m standing in front of the class and nobody gives a flying shit what I’m saying. It’s basically the most frustrating thing that has ever happened to me.
Nobody likes talking about being a failure, so it’s no fun to talk about those kinds of days.
But it did remind me of something that happened before break that I forgot to blog about.
So I went to two of the Instructional Support Teachers a few weeks ago about one of my classes. (The class of 3rd grade reading levels) I told them that this class doesn’t learn anything from me and I have no idea what to do with them. I told them that I need to seek out this because people see them sitting down in my room and not being crazy and just assume everything is going fine. But it is not. I’m a very well paid babysitter.
Their suggestions were about two or three different lesson plans (oh great, two whole days out of 180.) All of these involved me purchasing (with my own money) some time of food or craft or supply. I said, “So, for them to learn, I have to buy things?” One of the INSTRUCTIONAL SUPPORT TEACHERS says, “Well, you have to motivate them somehow.” Oh, okay. The other one, she used to teach in elementary school. So she tried to give me these holiday activities like word searches and building a graham cracker house. Oh, that’s wonderful, BUT THEY STILL AREN’T LEARNING ANYTHING.
They just say some words and hope I’ll go away.
Monday, January 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I am sorry it is so frustrating. I wish I had amazing things to suggest. I hope knowing there is someone who deeply sympathizes with you is some kind of consolation. Good teachers (and I believe you are one) are the ones who seem to struggle the most because they actually care about the quality of instruction in their classroom and the welfare of their students. Hang in there!
Have you considered going back to some kinds of learning activities that readers at their level appreciate? Like perhaps Madlibs, thus encouraging learning parts of speech. Or writing group stories or daily journaling or a poetry slam or some type of current events discussion or problem solving activity to start each classs. How about creating an ongoing project like a classroom or school newspaper or mural they could research and then work on.
I think Anonymous has some pretty fantastic ideas!
One other thing, have you considered looking online for forums with other teachers in situations like you?
Sorry...you didn't ask for input. Sorry.
Post a Comment