Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Great Hoodie Controversy of 2009

So every day for the past month, our morning and afternoon announcements have consisted of this: “Teachers! Students are still wearing hoodies in your classroom! There are to be no hoodies or jackets or anything of that nature on your students. Students should wear their uniform and leave all other things in their lockers. Teachers, I am holding you responsible for the students in your classroom.” She also sends around administrators to go into classrooms and take children’s jackets.

Yesterday, Jonnae was wearing a purple sweater (her uniform color is hunter green) with a hood on it. I told her to take it off. She yelled, she screamed, she moaned and complained. She went to Principal. Principal apparently told her it was okay, she could wear it (but, conveniently, she didn’t tell ME that she could wear it.) So she tries to stroll back into my room. I tried to stop her and she flipped out. Principal was in the hallway. I asked her if Jonnae could wear the hoodie/sweater. She said, “Of course! We never said they couldn’t wear sweaters!” I rolled my eyes and walked away.

I went to her office later. I said, “I need some clarification on this hoodie/sweater rule. What can they wear and what can’t they wear?” She tells me they have always been able to wear sweaters, just not “hoodies…you know? Hoodies.” I said, “Okay, you should probably be clearer with your directions, because it sounds like they can’t wear anything but their uniform. Can they wear any color sweater?” She said, “We decided this already.” (We did??) “They can wear sweaters that are brown, white, black or the school colors.” (The school colors are blue and white? I think.) I said, “But her sweater HAS A HOOD and is PURPLE.” She said, “Ugh! Just let her wear it!!”

1. If they can wear sweaters but not hoodies, that basically is saying that girls can wear jackets and boys can’t. (Do you know any boys who wear cardigans?)
2. Why is it such a big deal if I don’t follow your rules, but I’m the annoying one when I’m trying to get clarification on your dumbass rule?
3. WHO CARES???!!!!!! Sweaters, jackets, hoodies, whatever. The temperature in the building is a crapshoot everyday anyway.

Let’s worry about our real problems? Like the fighting and the complete lack of work ethic. Granted, you can say that if you let the little things slide, you’re going to let the big things slide; but this same Hoodie Nazi is the woman who, during our faculty meeting, said, “Our suspensions are down. I’m not going to suspend somebody for something as simple as cursing you out. That is something you need to deal with.”

So, from now on, you can be in full-out eskimo gear and Miss Vinson will not say anything to you. I tried following the rules. It didn't work.

No comments: