Okay, so I just went to Lowe's and bought two fans. I already had one that works and another that doesn't anymore. I bought them so that we can survive tomorrow. I started to sweat today just SITTING in my classroom. I wasn't standing or moving, just sitting. and sweating.
I have no idea how hot it is in my classroom or the school in general. I just know it's hot enough to make me sweat without moving. This means I am crabby. This means my kids are crabby. It has been a very ugly past few weeks.
Before this manufactured heat wave, it was so incredibly cold, people were wearing winter coats inside all day and teeth were chattering. I had to stay in my room because, thanks to my no-ventilation, the air conditioner doesn't pump into my room and so the freeze out was bearable. People bought mini-heaters and let the kids take turns standing beside them.
But as much as I hated the freezing, the sweating is ten thousand times worse. Tempers are much closer to the surface when everyone is hot and uncomfortable.
So, when we go to the administration, the maintenance people, whoever, to get this temperature thing under control, this is what we hear: "You know, you people are never happy. Just two weeks ago you were complaining about how cold it was. I can't spend my life trying to accommodate you!"
Um, okay. coupla things here. 1. I'm not asking for mints on my pillow or a gold-plated pen set. All I want is for it not to be unbearable in my classroom. And that's too much? 2. Since when are my only options 40 degrees or 100 degrees? Seems like around the 70 degree mark works for most everyone. Why don't we try that? The maintenance guy told me it was "really difficult" to regulate the temperature. Seriously? Like, rocket science hard? Is there a special degree for this?
I know it seems like a petty thing to complain about. I'm sure tons of people sit in offices or wherever freezing or burning up. But it's just another thing in an already ridiculously long list of things that aren't fair to my kids. It's already an effort to even get them to show up to school, now we're going to make it an unbearable environment?
Monday, November 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
okay so I totally get the uncomfortable thing, but also, HELLO ADMINISTRATION YOU ARE WASTING YOUR MONEY ON THIS!
I totally agree with Karen. Changing the temperature of a space (too hot or too cold) CONSUMES SO MUCH ENERGY. And ENERYGY IS SO EXPENSIVE. For every degree over about 68 degrees this time of the year you heat a building (especially if it is old and inefficient) it would probably be cheaper to heat the place burnig $20 bills. Help someone there do the math. Go to the school board if no one cares at the school. When no one is personally responsible for the bill, it is so easy to burn someone else's (the taxpayers gets screwed again!) money. Please speak up.
Perhaps the maintenance man can teach and the children can regulate the boiler. Seems like an ok compromise--bring it up to the board, willya?
Post a Comment